Friday, January 15, 2010

Apizza Scholls


See review from the last time I went below, but Apizza Scholls is infamous in Portland, and has some of the best pizza I have ever had in my life. Armando, Kyle and I spent the perfect rainy Friday evening drinking Anchor Steam and munching on a ridiculous blend of pizzas (you have to check out the website for full descriptions): Coastal, Apizza Amore and Pig and Pineapple. AMAZING!

Apizza Scholls – visited 11/25/09 w/my Mom

Apizza Scholls, you steal my heart every time! Finally I get to write a review to prove my deep appreciation for this wonderful establishment. Some people may complain about the standard wait for a table here, or the fact that they close when they run out of dough, but for me it just adds to the experience and anticipation. I love to enjoy one of the many beers offered and watch from the window benches as the hoards of hungry people chow on their pizzas.

There is nothing new that I can say about this pizza, but I will state the obvious: handmade dough, the freshest ingredients, crafted with care. The crust is always a slightly soft/crunchy blend, and never too thick. Toppings are always generous. Service is not something they focus on based on the volume of people that come through, but the staff is always friendly when you catch them in conversation. The owners are always running around somewhere, and truly run the business as a hands-on operation.

I love this place so much I didn’t even care when they completely botched our order last night. We ordered a ½ margherita, ½ sausage/onion/pepper pizza, but were served an entire sausage/onion/pepper pizza. Bummer because my mom isn’t the biggest meat fan to get so much of it. The server offered to cook us another, but after already waiting 35 mins already, we were starving and just dug in. Hopefully us being so nice about it will bring good food karma in the future!

Apizza is a bit pricy, but the food and comfortable atmosphere worth every penny. I do wish they would open the back patio to the public for the Summer…it looks so cute! If any of you have seen the Anthony Bordain Portland episode from a few years back, you know what I am talking about.

Again and again, Apizza is my go-to for consistent, delicious pizza!

*Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment