Saturday, January 2, 2010

SanSai Japanese Grill


I have lived on 21st for a year and half now, and as much as I like sushi, I have never had an interest in trying the SanSai Japanese Grill. On a whim one night, and wanting cheap, close sushi, we gave this a try. It is exactly what you would expect – totally laid back and generically decorated interior, with mediocre sushi to match. The sushi was extremely loosely rolled, and in quite large pieces, so it really just fell apart when you went to eat it (or dipped it in soy sauce). The miso soup was decent, but served with funny little plastic spoons (how very non-authentic, lol). They do have Sapporo on tap though, so bonus points for that. It reminded us both of a place that, if still in college, would totally have been a splurge night. Too funny, and my how things change (these days Bamboo Sushi suits me quite nicely). I think the whole meal, with soup and four rolls, probably cost $35. They advertise “1/2 off rolls all day,” and special Happy Hour things, but we went around 7pm, so no dice there.

In all honesty I probably won’t go again, but overall if you are looking for cheap sushi in a clean environment, this is your place. It doesn't claim to be anything it's not, so for me that gets it 3 stars.

*Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment